Views
Helpful
Replies

PPPoE is not working on Cisco ASA 5506X

ddnet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am using Cisco ASA 5506X in production. Our ISP is AT&T DSL internet services. We have used a DSL modem and this modem is in a bridge mode. This internet works based on PPPoE with PAP authentication. We have been given username and password to authenticate. We have configured vpdn on the ASA. But, somehow it is not working and we cannot access internet. This ASA is using ASA version 9.4 (1).

We did the same configuration on a spare ASA 5540 and it is working fine. This spare ASA is using ASA version 9.1 (5). I am not sure why it is happening. Do we need to upgrade our ASA version on a production network? Is there a bug in ASA version version 9.4 (1)?

2 Replies 2

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This should not be a version problem, except if there is a bug for the version you are using.

I have seen ASA running 8.x with working PPPoE.

For further troubleshooting you could try the debug pppoe command.

Did this get fixed? I’ve got a similar issue with my dsl provider wanting the traffic tagged with VLAN 101. I’ve set this up on my BT on PPPoe and it works great. So I know I can get it working. Just need help adding the vlan tag with ASDM. It’s the only way I know how to configure. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: