Views
Helpful
Replies

PPPoE PIX Client

andyjg247
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Linksys ADSL2 modem that can work as a transparent bridge. Various websites imply that when it is in this mode it changes the DSL to Ethernet and therefore I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be possible to setup the PIX as a PPPoE client to this modem and then use it to get the IP address from the ISP.

Hope that makes sense.

thanks

Andy

7 Replies 7

haithamnofal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Check out this link:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/pppoe-for-pix501.html

It shows an example for such a configuration... hope this helps.

Regards,

Haitham

Thanks, I have looked at that but I appreciate the link. I was wondering if anyone had good enough networking knowledge to tell me whether it would work or not using an adsl modem to convert from (and im guessing this?) pppoa to pppoe?

thanks again

private net <--> pix with pppoe <--> adsl router/modem in bridging mode.

if this simplified topology above is what you want, then it will work. i've configured this scenario many times.

Yep that sounds right. The pix is supplying the credentials that the isp requires. It sends them as pppoe but the dsl modem converts this to pppoa (and vice versa)??

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

no doubt the pix can be configured as a pppoe client.

below are the sample codes:

ip address outside pppoe setroute

vpdn group pppoe_group request dialout pppoe

vpdn group pppoe_group localname

vpdn group pppoe_group ppp authentication chap

vpdn username password

ok, thanks for your time guys

it's good to learn that your issue has been resolved.

according to cisco,

Why should I rate posts?

If you see a post that you think deserves recognition, please take a moment to rate it.

You'll be helping yourself and others to quickly identify useful content -- as determined by members. And you'll be ensuring that people who generously share their expertise are properly acknowledged. As posts are rated, the value of those ratings are accumulated as "points" and summarized on the Member Profile page and on each member's Preferences page.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card