Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

PPTP Lan-to-Lan

Hi,

We're about to begin replacing Linux boxes doing Lan-to-Lan connections with PPTP. We'll be putting a 1710 (12.2(13)T) router as the center and 831 routers at remote offices. The question is if it's possible to setup a Linux-to-1710 PPTP Lan-to-Lan configuration to continue giving connection to remote offices with linux boxes during the transition.

I've configured a 1710 for remote users using PPTP, but never for Lan-to-Lan, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance,

chabral

• Other Security Subjects
1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: PPTP Lan-to-Lan

In PPTP there really is no concept of a LAN-to-LAN tunnel like there is in IPSec. PPTP is a client-server protocol, so the Linux boxes must be doing something weird and connecting to each other but then allowing other devices behind them to use that connection also (sort of like Internet Connection Sharing).

The 1710 certainly won't do a L2L PPTP tunnel, cause as I mentioned there's really no such thing. If the Linux devices are connecting in as a PPTP client and then allowing other devices behind them to use that tunnel, then it should work OK. The config on the router is no different to what you would have already set up for PPTP remote users, it really depends on whether the Linux device connects in as a true PPTP client as to whether the router will accept the connection or not.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.