cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pre-shared Key Off-line Bruteforcing Using IKE Aggressive Mode

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have 10 site-to-site VPN's, they consist of Cisco 837's and 877's. I run a security scan (Qualys vulnerability scanning) against the public IP of the routers and half of them come back with the vulnerability below. They are all using the latest IOS and all connect to a Cisco Concentrator.

Here is the vulnerability, that means nothing to me, is it anything to worry about, all pre-shared keys are 8 characters or more and have letters, numbers, and symbols and capital letters:

Pre-shared Key Off-line Bruteforcing Using IKE Aggressive Mode

THREAT:

IKE is used during Phase 1 and Phase 2 of establishing an IPSec connection. Phase 1 is where the two ISAKMP peers establish a secure, authenticated channel with which to communicate. Every participant in IKE must possess a key which may be either pre-shared (PSK) or a public key. There are inherent risks to configurations that use pre-shared keys which are exaggerated when Aggressive Mode is used.

IMPACT:

Using Aggressive Mode with pre-shared keys is the least secure option. In this particular scenario, it is possible for an attacker to gather all necessary information in order to mount an off-line dictionary (brute force) attack on the pre-shared keys. For more information about this type of attack, visit http://www.ima.umn.edu/~pliam/xauth/.

SOLUTION:

IKE Aggressive mode with pre-shared keys should be avoided where possible. Otherwise a strong pre-shared key should be chosen.

Note that this attack method has been known and discussed within the IETF IPSec Working Group. The risk was considered as acceptable. For more information on this, visit http://www.vpnc.org/ietf-ipsec/99.ipsec/thrd2.html#01451.

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: