Views
Helpful
Replies

Prevent PIX from disconnecting SSH sessions

alitster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got a box on the outside of a PIX515E that I use ssh to get to and administrate it.

If I leave the session open, without any activity the PIX will 'cut' the connection between, not killing it. Leaving a disconnected ssh session which is not ideal.

Ideally I'd like to be able to leave the ssh session open like I do with others that are on the inside of the PIX so that I may come back to them at a later point. Security is not a concern.

Is it possible to stop the PIX cutting the tcp connection of the ssh session?

Regards,

Alan

1 Reply 1

scoclayton
Level 7
Level 7

Alan,

Without seeing a config or syslog, I am more or less guessing here but my years of experience ;) would tell me that you are probably bumping up against the conn timer on the PIX. The PIX will tear a connection down if left idle for more than an hour (by default). You may want to try bumping this value up and seeing if that helps. If it does not, you will need to setup a syslog server (if you do not already have one) and find out why the PIX is tearing the SSH connection down.

The command to change the conn timeout is:

timeout conn hh:mm:ss

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/cmdref/tz.htm#1026093

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: