Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

problem connecting to VPN5000 server

I am working with a customer to get remote access working and I have run into a couple of problem.

Customer is running old code on his VPN5000 Concentrator (he needs it for IPX support) and he sent me a copy of his exe file that he says works fine for him. Ver is 5.1.10-des-k8. I am trying to run it from an XP system and get the following error when launching the program "ERROR: InitSTEP returned 'Cannot find STEP VxD'". I have looked high and low for this file and do not find it anywhere. Any suggestions?

I have run the same level of code on an older NT4.0 system and it seems to connect, but I can not seem to pass traffic back and forth. The counters seem to indicate that it is sending, but it is not recieving. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: problem connecting to VPN5000 server

This will occur anytime the client can't be binded or the necessary VPN services can't be accessed. Make sure you don't have any other VPN client software installed on this machine.

The VPN 5000 client for Windows XP includes a setup program that automatically launches a program to

install the network driver. If the program failed for any reason,

use the following instructions to manually install the network driver.

Step 1 Install the VPN client software using the "Installing the VPN Client for Windows XP"

section.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/aggr/vpn5000/client/winmac/winmac50/install.htm#65465

Step 2 Log in to the system as the administrator, or as a user with administrator privileges.

Step 3 From the Start menu, select Settings > Network and Internet Connections > Network

Connections.

Step 4 Double-click the appropriate Local Area Connection.

Step 5 Click Properties.

Step 6 Click Install.

Step 7 Select Service.

Step 8 Click Add.

Step 9 Click Have Disk.

Step 10 Enter the path to the folder in which the netcs.inf, netcs_m.inf, and step.sys files

reside. In most cases, this is the same folder as the VPN client install file.

Step 11 Click OK to install the driver.

Step 12 After the driver is installed, close the Network and Dial-up Connections window.

Step 13 Reboot your computer.

Did all that but it seems that the problem may be that the driver is not signed according to Microsoft. And that seems to be stopping the full installation of the driver.

Any other thoughts on how to circumvent this?

It seems that the problem may be in the area of the Driver not being digitally signed for Microsoft. And it seems that even though I turn off signature checking on the PC before installing the VPN client, the install procedure turns it back on and therefore the driver, STEP, is not installed.

Is there a digitally signed driver available?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content