Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Problem during installation of VPN client 3.6.4 on laptop

I am trying to install version 3.6.4 on my laptop for testing and have run into the following error, "An installation support file could not be installed. Catastrophic Failure". Never had this error before in previous installs of the client on PC's. Any ideas of the "support file" it is looking for or could not install?

FYI, I am running Win 2000 on an IBM Thinkpad A22m.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Problem during installation of VPN client 3.6.4 on laptop

This is usually seen when installing the InstallShield version of the client. For some reason InstallShield gets into a funny state the only way to resolve this problem is to go into the registry and remove every InstallShield key and remove the diresctory C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield and then reboot the PC, after the reboot InstallShield is functional

Also kindly do the following:

Remove the following key from the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{5624C000-B109-11D4-9DB4-00E0290FCAC5}

You can also follow http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn3K_uninstall.html to manually remove everything, this machine may have had a version of the client on it before that wasn't removed properly (backup your registry first).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content