cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem w/ network using a serial link, and VPN device. Help!!!

jpena
Level 1
Level 1

Here's what I'm trying to do.

I have a plant that has an Internet connection through an ISP, and a PPP connection to corporate through a serial link on a 2600 router. This 2600 router has two interfaces. One serial(s0), and one Ethernet(E0). All the resources the remote site uses are accesed through the point to point link(S0). I'm trying to setup a VPN box on the ethernet LAN(E0) as a backup to go through the Internet in the event the serial link goes down using the VPN.

The problem is that I'm not sure how to tell the router to redirect the traffic going out the serial interface to the ethernet interface where the VPN box sits if it detects the serial link is down.

I hope this is clear. Any help will be greatl greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

You can do that with a route with a higher cost. Assuming the nettwork on the remote side of the private link is 10.0.0.0/8, you would just put a route with a higher cost than the one over the private link on the 2600 and point it at the VPN box. That way if the 2600 gets a packet and the link to corporate is down, he will see the route is down (assuming you are using routing protocols), and use the route you added (which goes to the VPN).

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: