Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with scheduled updates in CSA 5.1

I schedule an update for a group from 22:00 (10PM) to 23:00, but for some reason, as soon as the client polls the CSAMC, the update starts. The current time was 1:00PM, but it still ran the update.

???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Blue

Re: Problems with scheduled updates in CSA 5.1

What is your polling interval?

I think the default interval for servers is set to 24 hours. That might be why it updates immediately (otherwise it might never hit the window). Our polling interval is 10 minutes.

If that's the case you might increase the polling frequency and see if it fires correctly.

We are using the network shim but I don't have it set to restart automatically.

Tom

7 REPLIES
Blue

I tried this and it worked as expected. I gave them a 15 minute window to get 5.1.079 and the machines that polled got it during that time.

Sorry I can't be more help.

A couple conditions I notice prior to the upgrade:

- the client is not polling at the expected interval

- a "fast poll" will fail

I'll be forced to completely restart the csagent service on the client, which appears to "catch up" and initiate the upgrade. The time period I set is 22:00 through 23:59.

I just configured another scheduled update for 23:30 through 23:59, and while connected to the client machine I noticed it went offline. This was due to the update happening, forcing a reboot.

I've been able to re-pro this issue several times now.

Blue

It may be due to client communication issues and how the server sees the client status.

Are all your clients experiencing this?

Can you see in the Agent UI or log when the last communication occured before the poll and upgrade? I wonder if it was during that time period.

I have my software update set to do a quiet update with no automatic restart and it works OK.

I've only upgraded 4 or so servers to the new build, but they all seem to be exhibiting the same behavior.

No problems with seeing the last poll and downloads.

I presume you are not using the network shim, thus not having to force a reboot? All my clients and servers are using the shim so I force a reboot.

I'm not sure what's happening. I've been using CSA since before it was even called CSA, so I'm familiar with how it operates. Something else here seems amiss. I recall on some 5.0 builds there were polling issues, but I've checked the 5.1 release notes for such problems but found none. And since 5.0 could not be upgraded to 5.1, it's a fresh install so that rules out those potential gotchas.

The problem here is that CSA starts an update when it is out of the time frame of it's schedule. If I set it for 22:00 through 23:59, it should not upgrade at 9AM.

Blue

What is your polling interval?

I think the default interval for servers is set to 24 hours. That might be why it updates immediately (otherwise it might never hit the window). Our polling interval is 10 minutes.

If that's the case you might increase the polling frequency and see if it fires correctly.

We are using the network shim but I don't have it set to restart automatically.

Tom

I think you've got it. I was combing through the log when I saw this:

[Csamanager]: Software update - Forced update after 0 secs since poll interval may never hit scheduled update window

And I came over here to post this and I saw your reply.

I'll change the interval and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Blue

Glad to hear it, this one was more fun than most!

Tom

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content