Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Problems with VPN Client & Windows XP

I am running a WIndows XP Pro machine (not a domain member) over cable modem with Cisco VPN Client (preconfigured by my company).

I had to manually diable the GINA override to support XP standard login.

All works perfectly, when it works... but when it isn't working it sporadically fails to connect. The VPN client hangs (i.e. stops login process) after it first reports "Authenticating client..." which is the step immediately preceding the prompt for name and PIN+SecurID information. Note that the client does report that it has established communication with our VPN server.

I cannot seem to correlate these failures with anything else, although I suspect it may have to do with whether I log in first or a limited user logs in first following boot up of the machine.

Does anybody have any data to report with issues or hopefully fixes for the Cisco VPN client running on Windows XP?

2 REPLIES

Re: Problems with VPN Client & Windows XP

I run VPN Client on XP every day and while I haven’t modified the GINA files to support standard Windows login, I have no troubles. You might want to check and see if Cisco TAC has some suggestions but I’m guessing you’ll need to drive this through your companies IT department.

Re: Problems with VPN Client & Windows XP

Unfortunately our company has made a principal decision not to implement VPN on XP machines before XP has been tested on all applications.

The VPN runs as a pilot projekt and assists only OS up to W2K level. So I am in the woods and have to solve problems with the application suppliers like Cisco, 3Com and so on.

As a curiosum - the VPN runs perfectly if the XP version is an upgrade from Windows ME or Windows 2000. The problem starts if VPN is installed on a "Clean" installation of Windows XP ie where the user is told that VPN cannot be installed on Windows Version 5. I think there its a check that hasnt been removed after XP has been released.

Hope some one can look at the fault.

Views
Helpful
Replies