cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

puTTY - network error:connection refused with PIX?

nleachman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to connect to the inside interface of our PIX 515e (v6.3.1) using putty ssh - and each time I try I am immediately refused with "Network error:connection refused". However I am able to connect fine using Tera Term Pro and it's ssh extension - so I would think all is properly set up on the PIX.

I have set putty to only use ssh v1 and left the other settings alone. I have tried to use the logging function of putty; but really get no useful info from it - nor from the PIX logs for that matter.

Can anyone offer any tips on making this work? I get the feeling I am missing a really simple step here somewhere.

Thanks,

Nick

5 Replies 5

tvanginneken
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

what does the putty.log file say? Try turning on logging on the pix also (debug mode) and see if related entries appear.

What kind of encryption are you using for the SSH connection? Try putting 3DES on top followed by DES and see what happens (putty client -> connection -> SSH -> Encryption option).

Regards,

Tom

Tom, the log file says nothing - other than to repeat the same "connection refused" message. When I review the logs on the PIX there is no mention of any attempt by the client to attach - which I find odd. Maybe this putty client is never actually trying to connect - it fails very quickly.

I have already placed 3DES at the top followed by DES - no luck.

I just now tested trying to use plain telnet to a router using putty.exe - even this fails to work. If I try that same connection with puttytel.exe it works fine.

Maybe my download of putty.exe is corrupt?

Thanks,

Nick

Well, I'm humbled - it ended up being my personal FW - no warning, no indicator, no prompt, no nothing - just blocked the traffic.

I should have checked this sooner; but it is new and I am still growing my dislike for it.

Thanks for responding,

Nick

Dear Nick ,

we both are on same track , even i fade up with that error trying to access PIX(VPN), I would highly appreciate if you provide any sort of assistance .. thanks

Azhar

Hi Azhar,

I'm afraid that after I found out it was the firewall causing the problem my investigation stopped. Surely the two products work in slightly different manners; but what specifically I don't know. Unfortunately, I never have time to track these little annoyances down to completion.

Regards,

Nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card