Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on "name" command

adilmasani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I am reconfiguring a pix 515E firewall. I came across a couple of entries such as:

name 192.168.1.1 Server1

name 192.168.1.0 internal network

The first entry suggests a host name. I am not clear what the second entry means. Would the second entry mean that it signifies the entire internal network? I thought the way to specify a network was to do it like this:

object-group network internal network

network-object 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

Can someone shed some light on this? I cant seem to get any info from the Cisco website/documentation

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, but, by creating a network object you can specify MULTIPLE DIFFERENT SUBNETS OR HOSTS. With the name command you are only specifying one host or subnet. The way you use the two are a little different as well.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jwjorgensen
Level 4
Level 4

The name command is used to set up an alias for a host or subnet. When entering any command that requires specifying a host or subnet, you can type in the alias you created instead of the actual IP address. This makes it a little easier to interpret the config in my opinion. HTH.

In short this means that there are two ways of specifying a subnet

1. through the name command

2. by creating a network object

Am i right in my understanding?

Yes, but, by creating a network object you can specify MULTIPLE DIFFERENT SUBNETS OR HOSTS. With the name command you are only specifying one host or subnet. The way you use the two are a little different as well.

hi

the name command of the finesse operating system of the pix and ASA is like the ip host command of the ios in the cisco routers and switches.

HTH

do rate if it does help