Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Question - VPN Client(s)

Customer has a Cisco 7120 head-end VPN router. Is adding 400 Cisco 91 SOHO routers site-to-site VPN. Does a client need to be purchased for each Cisco 91?

Thanks!

1 REPLY

Re: Question - VPN Client(s)

Dave--

A couple of things:

1. VPN Clients are no longer sold or licensed. Any crypto enabled Cisco device includes the necessary licenses for unlimited VPN clients, obviously limited by the individual hardware platform. I'm not a Cisco insider, but I believe this has been the case since the move to the "Unified" VPN platform (using the former Altiga client on the desktop, and unifying the backend to work on IOS, PIX, or VPN3000)

2. There is a Cisco part number for the client MEDIA: CVPN-CLIENT-K9= Cisco VPN Client Software (Price is for Media Only) -- the list price on this is $50, for customers who like to have the media in hand. I typically sell one of these to every customer, an encourage customers to either burn the CD or (even better) download the new(er) software using their CCO login.

3. The setup you've described is a site-to-site VPN, and not a remote-user VPN. As such, even if client licenses were an issue like in years past, this type of deployment would not fall subject to VPN Client licensing.

4. Depending on the customers current and future needs, you may want to consider the Cisco 831 Series. These are expandable boxes, and with the Enhanced image, are capable of a whole heck of a lot, particularly for a $800 list price box ($649 + $150 for the enhanced image) -- GRE-over-IPSec, EIGRP, SAA, QoS, etc. Many of these things are of particular interest in a managed environment.

5. Lastly, you are always welcome to email me directly instead of posting on NetPro. It could save us a little time.

Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content