cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick Question on ASA 5510.

paulgillis
Level 1
Level 1

could someone please validate that OS 8.03 does support all 5 interfaces on an ASA5510? and that an upgrade from 7.2.3 should bring over all 5 interfaces.

thanks,

Paul

10 Replies 10

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Paul,

The version of code is not interface specific, the amount of interfaces that are available is license specific.

HTH>

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Paul, I do not see any issues when upgrading to 8.0(3) , as long you have Security Plus License you should be good.

The license is bound to the serial number of the firewall and not the actual code.

Upgrade release notes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/security/asa/asa80/release/notes/arn803n.html

See notes in red under 5510 for Sec Plus License

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

thanks for the info, and looking at the notes I see the Sec Plus License gives you 2 gig ports and 3 10/100, but it also shows the base license as having 5 10/100's my question is based on the fact that in 7.2.3 I can use all ports but when I upgraded this weekend to 8.03 I only had 4 interfaces instead of the 5, so I had to roll back.

thanks,

Paul

Yes Paul, what you are seeing is the desired behavior. Starting with 7.2.x Cisco basically removed the 'interface restriction' with Security Base License(s), now you can use all give. Also starting with 7.2(3) you can configure two ports as Gigabit on the ASA 5510. I'm not sure if any release of 8.x provided this functionality.

Please rate if helpful.

Regards

Farrukh

so I should have had all 5 interfaces available when I upgraded to 8.x?

thanks,

Paul

I should have been more clear. Cisco runs two or more trains together. 7.2.x and 8.0.x for example. It does not mean everything that is available on 7.2.x will automatically be available in 8.0.x. Both trains work in 'parallel'. Eventually the new major release converges with the older major train(s), but this takes time. What was the reason for the 8.x upgrade btw? Any specific feature like EIGRP etc?

Regards

Farrukh

ssl VPN and the added features as well as the fixes for some of the vulnerabilities in 7.2.x.

that is pretty much the main driving factor, and totally took me for a loop when everything I read said all 5 should be supported but when I did the upgrade only 4 were usable, so I was forced to downgrade and reconfig.

I have submitted a TAC issue and they too said it should have worked so they are going to work with me through a second attempt.

I can see in the 8.0(4) release notes that they fixed some bugs with the 5510 Gigabit feature in that particular release. Can't find anything for the five interface thing tough. However I would think such an important thing would be present in 8.0(4) at least (since it was released just recently).

Regards

Farrukh

I will see what the tech says when they get back in touch with me, and I too agree that I would think that such an important feature should stay available through all future releases, I dont know why they would take them away... of if just something strange happened during the upgrade. I just hope that round two goes a bit smoother.

Thanks a ton for all the info you have provided and for you rapid responses.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: