cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"AddRoute failed to add a route: code 87" Error Message

pdquan001
Level 1
Level 1

I'm able to establish the tunnel sesion w/o a problem, however in the vpn client log, I keep getting this error message "AddRoute failed to add a route: code 87". Does that mean that it's the vpn client issue or the vpn concentrator configuration issue?

Thank you,

pq

19 Replies 19

pdquan001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've upgraded client software to version 4.7, and still get the same error message. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

pq

I firmly believe that in all my past installs and reinstalls something fatal to vpnclient remains in my XP registry. That's why so many have posted that reinstalling the OS was the final solution to their problems. My solution was to download linux (Fedora Core 4) and set up my machine to dual-boot XP/linux. I installed Cisco vpnclient for linux which works like a champ. This was EXTREMELY time consuming, but since I use vpnclient to connect to linux boxes at work, it probably turned out best in the long run. And now I have a nice alternative to Bill-OS!

Too bad Cisco doesn't build something into the installation application for their Windows product that searches for and cleans up old vpnclient registry entries before installing the current version. It should also check for old versions and offer to uninstall them before installing the new one. Vpnclient on Windows is MUCH harder to deal with than it should be!

Looks like you've been waiting for months for some help on your post. Best of luck.

-cf

bill.sheldon
Level 1
Level 1

Probably neither.

I had the same problem . I beleive it is becasue the address of the WAN interface is a.b.c.d/32

Get the tunnel up and check the status of the client.

Do a 'route print' from your cmd window and defaut route 0.0.0.0 will have two entries, 1 to the vpn tunnel, the second to the dialup interface. They willhave an equal metric. The traffic will actually use the first entry

Testing using ethereal also showed that the packets were actually sent down the tunnel.

We have suffered from this problem across several platforms now and again for months.

Once we got Nat traversal working correctly, the addroute problem stopped happenning and everything worked great.

We just had to make sure that the VPN client was configured for transparent tunneling (IPSec/UDP), the PIX/ASAs had the isakmp nat-t command configured and the routers in front of the firewalls were not blocking udp 4500

bill.sheldon
Level 1
Level 1

See my msg of march 29 for an explanation of what goes on.

cheers

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: