Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

"The necessary VPN sub-system is not available. . ." Error

Hello, I am running WinXP and have recently upgraded to a new version of the Cisco Systems VPN Client (v3.5.1). When I try to run the new verison, it gives me the following message before starting: "The necessary VPN sub-system is not available. You will not be able to make a connection to the remote IPSec server." Then the client starts up, but, as one might expect, I can't connect to anything.

After some research, I checked to make sure the the "Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service" was started. It wasn't. So, after starting it, I tried again -- same error message. Additionally, the service had died.

After some more research, I set the log capturing to the highest level, and tried again. Here's what I did:

1.) Started service

2.) Started VPN Client (and got error)

Here's what was in the log after doing that:

============

21 14:57:33.646 02/21/02 Sev=Warning/3 DIALER/0xE330000C

GI get status callback timed out.

22 14:57:37.241 02/21/02 Sev=Info/6 CVPND/0x63400005

Service reports: "Stop Pending".

============

If I try to start the VPN Client now, without the service running, I get this in the log:

============

23 14:57:43.730 02/21/02 Sev=Warning/3 DIALER/0xE3300006

GI process failed "GI_ERROR_IPC_FAILURE" (FFFFFFF8h).

24 14:57:44.602 02/21/02 Sev=Warning/3 DIALER/0xE330000C

GI get status callback timed out.

============

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-Dutch

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: "The necessary VPN sub-system is not available. . ." Error

I had the same issue on WinXP when installing the same version.

What I had to do fix the problem is completely remove all previous versions.

Then start installation again.

You will get a warning about what to do before installation like disabling hardware check under system or sth like this.

Make sure you follow the recommendations.

After that it should work. But also start by removing the old version.

I agree. Follow the following instructions:

Trying to run the VPN Client returns the following error.

"The necessary VPN sub-system is not available. You will not be able to make a connection to the remote IPSec server."

This may be due to a problem during the installation of the VPN Client where is exited prematurely without error. As a result some of the necessary VPN Client services/drivers do not get started after rebooting.

To see if you have this problem, perform the following steps:

Step 1 Uninstall the VPN Client, restart the PC.

Step 2 Look in the Startup group for the following shortcut:

c:\Documents and Setting\All users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Cisco Systems VPN Client.lnk

Step 3 If the link exists, delete it and reinstall the VPN Client. Reinstalling should now fully complete the VPN Client install and it should run properly

You could try running a packet monitoring application like WinDump and see if you can tell exactly where the authentication is failing.....just an idea.

Views
Helpful
Replies