cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommend a broadband router for VPN connection

smartin
Level 1
Level 1

At the corporate office I have a Cisco VPN 3015, I need to connect a remote office using DSL via VPN.

Can anyone recommend a VPN router. Price is an issue!

4 Replies 4

e.l
Level 1
Level 1

How about the lowest end of VPN3000 series: VPN3002 Hardware remote client. Or may be a PIX501 could fit your requirement. Both are capable to dial-up using PPPoE and they are the cheapest. Both are not a router but capable to route a network behind it through the VPN tunnel using "Network Extension Mode" .

HTH.

d-garnett
Level 3
Level 3

i am currently dealing with the same exact issue.

i am looking at the 827 ADSL router or PIX 501 firewall. A few people recommended the 3002 hardware client but it is to expensive. The 827 seems more flexible, but the 501 seems more secure.

the 827 and PIX 501 supports Easy VPN Client and can do LAN-to-LAN tunneling with the 3015. You can also do split tunneling. Both are less than $700 bucks.

The 827 ADSL Router includes a built-in DSL "Modem". If a DSL (or cable) Modem is in place, why not use the Cisco 806? The 806 is somewhat more flexible than the PIX and (when properly equipped with the correct IOS) is fully capable of 3DES VPN Tunnelling (like the PIX 501) as well as remote access via Secure Shell Client software (as does the PIX). Like the PIX, the 806 will work equally well with both cable, DSL, fixed wireless and other types of Internet service.

F C Wood

fc@wood.org

The Wood Organization

Cisco Certified Premier Partner

thanks for the advice, that would save us some money.

i am aware that the 800 with the correct IOS (w 3Des/IPSec) can do a LAN2LAN with the 3000, but does the outside IP on the 800 have to be static in order to establish a LAN2LAN? have you ever implemented an 8xx to 3xxx LAN2LAN tunnel?