cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommend router or ASA

kasper123
Level 4
Level 4

I have been asked to recommend a router or firewall for two locations.

At the main office there is currently adsl link. There is an avaya ip pbx.
Another internet link with static address will be added. (the adsl should be used as backup link)

At a different location there is also another avaya ip pbx.

The requirment is is theat a vpn will be created between the sites and through this vpn there will mainly be voip traffic.
QoS has to be implemented to prioritize the voip traffic (in the tunnel and also to prioritize the vpn traffic over let's say http traffic on the internet).

So I'm not sure wether to recommend ASA5510 for the main site or some Router that will have security IOS (2811 for instance)?

Also for the remote location is cisco 861 security bundle enough? Does it support QoS?

Any insight is much appritiated!

Regards.

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's hard to say which is best with only limited information. Both will work, but I would lean towards a router. What model depends on many other things. Use the datasheets for guidance on how big of a router to get (if you go that way). All ISR routers support QoS.

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ASA's can priority queueing and do VPN of course.The ASA also has more security features also (botnet filtering, potential malware modules etc), so depending how strict security requirements you will have you might need or not need an ASA.

Traffic load and potential routing protocol capabilities and needs will tell you if the ASA can do what you want. As Collin suggested, the routers can probably do it, it is a matter of traffic load. I don't think you will forget to factor in price either.

I hope it helps a little.

PK

kasper123
Level 4
Level 4

In the sense of QoS: Do ASA and a router have the same capabilities?

Is 861 a good choice for a remote location point? Also in the sense of QoS?

Does it work better with ASA or a Router at the central location (in the sense of VPN)?

kasper123 wrote:

In the sense of QoS: Do ASA and a router have the same capabilities?

Is 861 a good choice for a remote location point? Also in the sense of QoS?

Does it work better with ASA or a Router at the central location (in the sense of VPN)?

A router has more QoS capabilities.

An 861 may be a good choice, may be a bad one. We don't have enough info to make an educated decision.

A router or ASA at the head end is up to you. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I prefer keeping the remotes and the head end the same, but that's just for consistency.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card