Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Remote PIX tunnel - can't see hosts until they connect to me first

I have a remote 501 running an Easy VPN connection back to our HQ ASA 5520s but have noticed that even though the tunnel is built fine I cannot ping from the HQ side to the remote systems until one of them pings me first. I have tried the nem-st-autoconnect which has it's own problems (the dsl router on the remote side chops the connection in the middle causing the 501 to never rebuild the tunnel, I have recreated this in my lab) but in any case I simply want to be able to ping the remote hosts when the tunnel is up but cannot figure out how. I have tried the management-access inside flag which has the same issues. I have a valid tunnel but cannot "see" the remote network until they initiate a connection. Any ideas?

thanks a ton.

1 REPLY

Re: Remote PIX tunnel - can't see hosts until they connect to me

I have that issue with DHCP remotes. No way for us to know what their outside address will be. They have to open the tunnel. I think I may have stumbled upon a possible solution by using the NTP protocol to work off a server at my HQ. This way, that will occasionally talk to my HQ servers and open the tunnel!

Views
Helpful
Replies