cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote PIX tunnel - can't see hosts until they connect to me first

cgleaves
Level 1
Level 1

I have a remote 501 running an Easy VPN connection back to our HQ ASA 5520s but have noticed that even though the tunnel is built fine I cannot ping from the HQ side to the remote systems until one of them pings me first. I have tried the nem-st-autoconnect which has it's own problems (the dsl router on the remote side chops the connection in the middle causing the 501 to never rebuild the tunnel, I have recreated this in my lab) but in any case I simply want to be able to ping the remote hosts when the tunnel is up but cannot figure out how. I have tried the management-access inside flag which has the same issues. I have a valid tunnel but cannot "see" the remote network until they initiate a connection. Any ideas?

thanks a ton.

1 Reply 1

AEAvery
Level 1
Level 1

I have that issue with DHCP remotes. No way for us to know what their outside address will be. They have to open the tunnel. I think I may have stumbled upon a possible solution by using the NTP protocol to work off a server at my HQ. This way, that will occasionally talk to my HQ servers and open the tunnel!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card