Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote VPN client with same subnet

mberthelot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Soho91 on one side, VPN client on the other side.

I would like to configure my router to give an IP to the client in the same subnet as the inside router 's interface (doing so, no static route would be necessary on my servers to answer the client)

Thanks

5 Replies 5

a.hajhamad
Level 4
Level 4

Create a new subnet for the connected VPN clients and you need to add a static route at your main router at your private network in order for the inside servers respond to the connected VPN clients. If you use the same subnet as the servers, the response traffic from the servers will not reach VPN clients (since the connected VPN clients have the same subnet as the servers. i.e. the servers will not pass this traffic for their G.W).

I hope to be helpful, if you any more questions please don't hesitate to ask again.

Please rate if it does.

Abd Alqader

Thank you for your reply.

That's the answer I expected and I agree with you but I'm a bit confused : I use a VPN connection to reach a customer of mine, I get IP 192.168.18.11/25 dynamically and I can make a RDP connection on a PC (192.168.18.124/25) on this subnet behind the VPN router at the remote site !!

I wonder if the VPN router use proxy arp for the response packet from the PC?

Did you try any other application other than RDP?

Specific VPN devices, such as the VPN concentrator, support the use of internal DHCP servers for remote VPN clients via proxy arp.

Thank you for the help !!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: