cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote VPN Printing

hill.kevin
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA5505 setup for remote VPN access. Inside the network we have a terminal server we use for different applications. When I am connected with my laptop over the remote vpn and rdp into the server, I am not able to print to my local printer attached to my laptop. The server does not see my computer or printer. Can anyone give me some ideas on how to set that up?

Thanks!!

Kevin

9 Replies 9

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You'll need to set up split tunneling for your local network to be excluded from going through the tunnel. This document will show you how to configure it:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/paws/70917/asa-split-tunnel-vpn-client.pdf

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

OK, I have the split tunneling setup. I can ping my laptop from the computer but I still cannot see the computer or printer as either as an option for printing or from trying to install the printer on the server. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Kevin

I had to reread your original post. Let me see if I get this straight:

You vpn into an ASA, connect to an RDP server, and the server should attach to YOUR computer via RDP where you can print from the application back to your local printer?

If that's the case, disable split-tunneling. Split tunneling would only be used when you need to access local resources while being vpn'd into the network.

Okay, so you are RDP'd into the server, and it doesn't see your printer. I'm assuming that you're using the VPN client, or do you have a L2L tunnel with the other side? Can you post the relevant portions of the ASA's config?

group-policy

tunnel-group

access-list applied to the tunnel-group

John

John,

Here is part of the config. Yes, we are using VPN client. Once connected with VPN client, we open an RDP session on the terminal server to use the applications on the server. I need to print from those applications back to my printer connected to my laptop. Let me know if you need more of the config.

Thanks!!

Kevin

Looking at your config, I'm not sure it's a VPN problem.

When you're connected to the RDP server, can you ping your assigned IP address?

Is this just happening to your computer?

Is the printer connected to your computer a USB printer?

Is this a new thing for you, or did it work at one time?

John

John,

Yes, I can ping my assigned IP from an RDP session. This is happening with other computers. I am on a Vista machine. I have an XP with me that I will try. The printer is connected USB to my laptop. This is the first time we have tried this.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

Take a look at this document:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361

HTH,

John

Thanks!! I went back and installed an updated version of the driver on the server. I noticed there was another printer already configured which happened to be the default printer. It is no longer in service. I changed its driver to the new driver and the server then recognized the printer in the TS session and is now working!

Thanks for your help!

Kevin

Looking at your config, I'm not sure it's a VPN problem.

When you're connected to the RDP server, can you ping your assigned IP address?

Is this just happening to your computer?

Is the printer connected to your computer a USB printer?

Is this a new thing for you, or did it work at one time?

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: