cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove 'Cisco VPN Client' folder from start menu?

dsteinweg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was just reorganizing my start menu, and discovered that if I move the location of the 'Cisco Systems VPN Client' folder from the root 'All Programs' to anywhere else, then when attempting to run the client, it just launches the installer, re-installs itself, and puts the start menu folder back at All Programs.

Anyone encountered this before and knows of a solution where I can leave the program installed but just move the shortcuts in the start menu? They ARE just shortcuts, so I'm not sure why it complians when I move them. It's not the end of the world, but I would like very much to organize my start menu as I wish.

I have Windows XP Professional 32-bit and the Cisco VPN Client version 5.0.01.0600.

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

MarkuaHoltmanns
Level 1
Level 1

I ran into the same problem with v. 4.6.xx and 4.8.xx. Even moving the start menu group from the "All Users" start menu to my private start menu was enough to trigger the re-install.

It seems the start menu entries of the VPN Client are unlike normal shortcuts. Because if you replace the main VPN Client entry with a direct shortcut to vpngui.exe, you can move it as expected. That is my current workaround.

But I would still like to know why Cisco installs the shortcuts in this way.

So please be so kind as to explain that to us.

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: