cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacement for "debug packet <int> src | dst .... in Pix ver7.x?

m.surtees
Level 1
Level 1

I loved the debug packet cmd in ver 6.3 and used it *every* time there was an issue or a question of whether it was the FW's 'fault' - generally wasn't and I could show traffic hitting the pix on one side, leaving it on another with required NATing or not and often thereby prove by lack of return traffic that the issue was downstream.

Ver 7.x does not have this debug packet cmd ... what can I use in it's place. So far ASA is looking like a backwards step, but only for this reason.

Thanks for any help,

Mike

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

See the capture command in the docs - and as of 7.2 see also the packet-tracer command - should give you all the tools you need.

HTH

Andrew.

View solution in original post

grant.maynard
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco have dropped the debug packet command for PIX from v7, however instead you can use the capture command to set up packet sniffing on the PIX itself. It is best used with an ACL to specify traffic. The basic syntax is:

capture access-list interface

show capture

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

See the capture command in the docs - and as of 7.2 see also the packet-tracer command - should give you all the tools you need.

HTH

Andrew.

thanks also for the info

Regards,

Mike

grant.maynard
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco have dropped the debug packet command for PIX from v7, however instead you can use the capture command to set up packet sniffing on the PIX itself. It is best used with an ACL to specify traffic. The basic syntax is:

capture access-list interface

show capture

thanks for the info .... I shall go forth and capture (doesn't sound as cool as debug)

Regards,

Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card