Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Root default password

Hi,

I cannot find in the documentation for new IDS 4.0 sensor a default password for root user. If somebody was able to find it, I would appreciate a lot if you could forward it to me.

Thank you

1 REPLY

Re: Root default password

The 4.0 sensors ship with only one functioning login ID: "cisco". Password "cisco". You must change this password upon initially logging in. You can create additional accounts as follows:

configure terminal

user smith privilege admin

Please enter a password: ************

The privilege levels are viewer, operator, administrator and service. Only one account can be set to privilege level "service". We refer to this as the service account. The service account is distinguished because it is the only one that bypasses the IDS CLI at login. Instead, you see the bash shell. You can su to root from the service account. IDS keeps the service account and root password synchronized, so when you enter:

$ su -

Password:

Type the same password you used to log in as the service user.

If you create a service account, you have the freedom to use it to access the operating system shell; however, you should only use this power with care. If you later require assistance from the TAC and it is clear that you used the service account and possibly damaged the configuration of the sensor, your only recourse is to reimage the sensor.

Views
Helpful
Replies