cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router booting problem

sumeer-bhat
Level 1
Level 1

I am using 7206 router . It reboots every 5 minutes and hence we are not able to troubleshoot the problem.Beacause as I said it reboots again and again...

Please suggest

9 Replies 9

arslan_s
Level 1
Level 1

I also experinced some what similar problem with 2600 series router. You should note whether router is able to boot ios properly or not. I suggest you to upgrade your ios to a latest version, your platform supports.

In another case I had a permanant console connection to router from NT machine. Whenever NT machine restarted, surprisingly it also rebooted router. When I removed router console cable from NT box, problem disappeared.

Dear Sir,

How could I update the version as I am not able to work in my router as I said it is booting after evry 5 minutes.....

use 'show processes cpu' & 'show processes memory',check your cpu & memory utilization.

clear your router starting-config,reboot it,reconfig your 7206 step by step.

If the symptom still,remove all the interface modules,clear your router starting-config,reboot it.

If the symptom still,use the command 'boot system tftp',before you do it,you must prepare a tftp server and a complete IOS.If the solution is useful,then upgarde your current IOS.

dagreer
Level 1
Level 1

I would also bring up a SYSLOG server on an NT workstation and see what that tells you. I had a situation before where our routers were rebooting themselves periodically, after bringing up a SYSLOG server I found out that there was a memory leak problem in the IOS that I was using.

enable

config term

logging buffered 16384

logging trap debugging

logging 10.6.x.y

exit

write

There are several NT SYSLOG Servers out there that you can at least demo for free. The one I use was $35. Before you change the router make sure that the SYSLOG machine is setup, also when you are done I would change the command above 'logging trap debuging' to 'logging trap informational' to reduce the messages that are generated.

Any questions let me know.

jmujica
Level 1
Level 1

Hint: Try looking on the flash directory or on the bootflash directory. Most of the time the Cisco 7x00 routers create a crash-file everytime they crash.

You can send me an email and I'll try to help you

-JJ jose.mujica@netxar.com

abehanan
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

press break or Cntrl+break key within 60 seconds of boot and check the configuration register if there is something wrong.

reply if u cannot rectify the problem at abehanan@yahoo.com.

regards

Anish.

kparamasivan
Level 1
Level 1

I faced the same problem on my 2620 router. The solution is to upgrade your memory. If you're using IOS 12.x, I suggest you've a DRAM of atleast 64MB or more.

I've seen this on several platforms, it was always because of memory problems:

- not enough flash causes the IOS image to corrupt, which causes reboots systematically (I've had a 3640 with a faulty flash card which reacted exactly the same)

- not enough ram makes it impossible for the IOS image to decompress, so it reboots

By issuing a break within 60 seconds after a reboot, you can enter Rom monitor mode, so you can check config-register, IOS image location & size, you can force the router to use a different image on a tftp server or a PCMCIA flash card etc.

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

Keep a console attached, You should get some sort of message on why the router reloads.

Has this router ever worked ?

What was the "last change" ?

I would capture the logging output to a PC to get

started tracking this down.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: