cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Migration Proposal Question

rsmith
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, here's a question for everyone out there.. We've got a proposal to migrate our existing routers to Cisco (FINALLY!) and I want to run it by this group to see if anyone feels this is in the right direction or not.

Our environment is currently running Nortel Networks routers. We've got four WAN locations and are adding a fifth. As part of the migration, we will be replacing four Nortel routers with Cisco (3640's and 2611's) and installing two additional 3640's at the fifth location using HSRP. We will also be performing a RIP to EIGRP conversion in the process. In addition, at the fifth location, our Internet access will be from there. At that location, we will have a PIX 525 firewall (with the failover bundle) setup and configured. Now, the proposal includes doing all of the work to replace the routers, install and configure the PIX and get everything up and running. The timeframe of the proposal is 4 weeks @ 40 hours/week. Does this seem like an acceptable amount of time to install 2 new routers, replace 4 existing routers and install/configure a PIX w/failover?

Thanks.

Ryan Smith

3 Replies 3

bbaley
Level 3
Level 3

I think 160 hours seems a little on the light side for a deployment like this. I assume they are talking about breaking this time up between several engineers and get it done in a few days or may be their staging your deployment. It still seems low to me, so I’d be sure they will guarantee to finish the project at their own expense for anything over 160.

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

Typical engineer answer, It depends. If you feel comfortable with rip & eigrp redistribution, That will help. Can't really tell, but it sounds like the wan links will need to be flash cut over to the new

routers. Don't make any weekend plans. I think 40 hours might be a bit optimistic based on my own experience. If you have a well trained staff, yeah you can do it. If not, Someone will have to be the

guru.

I think millerv hit the nail on the head: it depends on staff skills in a big way. I think I could do it alone in 40 hours as long as I had somebody to help physically place the routers. But the uninitiated might take a while. If you feel confident in the folks that will be performing the tasks, then I think it should be right in line with your estimates.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: