cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RRI whats it supported on and how does it work.

Patrick Laidlaw
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I've been trying to come up with different solutions for VPN backups to T1 connections. I originally would like to use VTI connections for a client but we need to look into other options since we won't be able to upgrade all of our equipment to support VTI tunnels.

This leads me to RRI reverse route injection which I'm trying to figure out how it works. I've done a little reading and searching for docs but haven't been the most successful in answering my own questions.

If someone has experience with RRI please let me know what kind of situation you used it in and what equipment you used it on.

Thanks

Patrick

1 Reply 1

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

Whenever an IPSec SA is installed, the prefixes which are to encrypted are routed automatically to the tunnel peer ( a static route is injected to the routing table). When the tunnel terminates, the route is removed from the routing table.

RRI can be used where a spoke needs to form reduntant tunnels to 2 routers(using DPD) where the hub routes inject routes dynamically into internal IGP so that the network knows where the tunnel is terminating. Say, IPSec could terminate in New York and the next time it may terminate in DC and the enterprise IGP has to route accordingly. I have seen it working well on the 1700 and not so well on the VPNSM with 7600.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: