Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Sanitization procedures for Catalyst 4510

I am looking for sanitization procedures for a 4510 switch. I need to be able to clear any and all IP information or any data that may be stored on the system. I need something official, but since the contract is expired tech support can't talk to me. Anyone have anything?

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Sanitization procedures for Catalyst 4510

If you plan to get rid of your old equipment then you can't go wrong with the command "format bootflash:".

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Sanitization procedures for Catalyst 4510

dir all-filesystems

...will show all of the filesystems on the device. You will normally (on a 4510) see running-config in system, startup-config in nvram and vlan.dat in cat_4000_flash. Those three files contain the bits you may be concerned about.

So from console:

write erase

write mem

del cat4000_flash:/vlan.dat

reload

Check again after the reload, running-config and startup-config should be factory default and vlan.dat should not contain your VLAN definitions.

This procedure is described further in the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800c4546.shtml#reset_switch

Views
Helpful
Replies