cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Satellite Connection and VPN

Prudence
Level 1
Level 1

I am just starting to investigate establishing a VPN using satellite connections. I have heard that Cisco routers will not work in this situation. If anyone has any feedback on this particular issue or the topic in general, I would appreciate your response. Our company is providing high speed internet connection to rural areas using Direct PC dishes with satellite connections.

Thank you

5 Replies 5

bbaley
Level 3
Level 3

Too much latency between the dial-up and the inbound satellite feed. Satellite networking is best for web-browsing and more traditional TCP applications.

graymcrdr
Level 1
Level 1

I use Dish network satellite at home and PPTP into a PIX at work. It is slow but it works.

I have a user with the same latency issues. Does anyone know why that happens? Is their any problems/issues with creating a VPN tunnel within a VPN (I believe that is what satellite is using.)

Thanks,

Erik

I have a user that will have the 2-way satellite feed(no dial up involved at all) Does any one have experience with this setup? I don't think I should run into the same latency problems correct?

I have a remote office with Winstar using a Cisco 3002 VPN Hardware Client.

Client <-> 3002 <-> Cisco SOHO Router <-> Winstar

It has been the most stable of all configurations -the others including DSL. Cable and ISDN.

Been a good experience.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: