Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Satellite Connection and VPN

I am just starting to investigate establishing a VPN using satellite connections. I have heard that Cisco routers will not work in this situation. If anyone has any feedback on this particular issue or the topic in general, I would appreciate your response. Our company is providing high speed internet connection to rural areas using Direct PC dishes with satellite connections.

Thank you

5 REPLIES

Re: Satellite Connection and VPN

Too much latency between the dial-up and the inbound satellite feed. Satellite networking is best for web-browsing and more traditional TCP applications.

I use Dish network satellite at home and PPTP into a PIX at work. It is slow but it works.

I have a user with the same latency issues. Does anyone know why that happens? Is their any problems/issues with creating a VPN tunnel within a VPN (I believe that is what satellite is using.)

Thanks,

Erik

I have a user that will have the 2-way satellite feed(no dial up involved at all) Does any one have experience with this setup? I don't think I should run into the same latency problems correct?

I have a remote office with Winstar using a Cisco 3002 VPN Hardware Client.

Client <-> 3002 <-> Cisco SOHO Router <-> Winstar

It has been the most stable of all configurations -the others including DSL. Cable and ISDN.

Been a good experience.

Views
Helpful
Replies