cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Scripting the uninstall/reinstall of Cisco VPN Client

pbarber
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of writing scripts to uninstall everyone's older 4.02x VPN client and the installing 4.03f.

Are there any command line parameters to aid in uninstalling 4.02x installs? To my knowledge, the MSI wasn't used to install the 4.02's.

With 4.02, it appears that in order to reliably get the uninstall string, you need query the regvalue of 'HKLM\Software\Cisco Systems\VPN Client[UninstallPath] that value will tell you where to look in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. Will this always be reliable when dealing with any 4.x VPN Client installs?

Also.. is there a easy way to tell as to whether or not the MSI or EXE was used to install the VPN client? I asked, because incase there aren't any uninstall command line parameters (like one to to an unattended install), Then I will have to make the script click 'next.. next.. next.. finish', and the screens appear to be different based on the type of install.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

i believe whenever you attempt to install a new version, it will auto uninstall the old version. i would test that out

It will.. however, the last thing we want it for our scripts to 'reboot' in the middle of an installed.

It's much easier to write one script to do the uninstall, then have that script manually reboot at the end.

.. then have a 2nd script start up after reboot and install as expected.

This script will be pushed out to around 600 people automatically... That's why we need to be certain that our scripts are in control of the reboots and that an 'install' script truly means 'install'.. not 'install.. unless it's already there.. for then it will have to uninstall/reboot/re-install'.

Fun

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: