cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary IP Address on PIX interface

noelf
Level 1
Level 1

Can you please advise if it is possible to configure secondary IP addresses on a PIX Ethernet interfaces or any ways around achieving this?

5 Replies 5

scoclayton
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

No, there is no option to configure secondary address on a PIX. Sorry. As for "ways around", what exactly are you doing that requires multiple addresses on an interface?

Scott

Thanks for response. In process of migrating from an old IP addressing scheme to a new private scheme on a DMZ interface hanging off the PIX. In order to allow the migration of the various hosts over time I was hoping to provision secondary addressing allowing both addressing schemes in place at the same time for a short period.

Ahh, I see. Short of adding a new interface on the PIX for the new network, I don't see a work-around for this type of setup. If this is a feature you need, you may want to lobby your account team to file a PERS request. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you but it is an option I suppose. I know that the PIX team has been resistent to this idea in the past. I do know that some versions of Windows will allow you to set a default gateway that is *not* in the same subnet as the host. I have no idea how this works as it seems to go against every TCP/IP rule I know, but it does. Good luck.

Scott

I've had this same situation, where multiple legacy IP subnets had to be supported once a PIX was installed. The only workaround I could find was to wedge in a layer 3 switch (a Catalyst 3550, for example) between the PIX and the multiple subnets. That way, the L3 switch could route traffic between the small PIX subnet and another interface with secondary addresses defined.

DaveH

PIX OS 6.3 now supports VLANs, therefore you could configure an 802.1q trunk from the PIX to an L3 switch or router.

EG - pix command is:-

interface ethernet0 vlan2 logical

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card