Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Secondary (redundant) FWSM just arrived for 6509

Our primary FWSM in our cat6509 has been running for a couple of years now...we finally purchased a redundant module and currently have it backed out of the chassis...One question I have is, since we don't have any "redundancy" configured, just popping this 2nd FWSM in and bringing it "active" isn't going to cause us any problems, will it? And 2nd, can we load a newer version (3.x) of code on the backup FWSM and test on it, if we don't have redundancy configured (for awhile)?? Any help is appreciated....

2 REPLIES

Re: Secondary (redundant) FWSM just arrived for 6509

If it's brand-new with no configuration, inserting the fwsm should cause no problem. Just to be safe, though, be sure the switch does not have a "firewall module x vlan-group y" command for that slot.

Yes, you can run different versions of code as long as you don't have failover configured (you don't say what your current fwsm version is but, once you get to 3.1, you can run different maintenance releases even with failover enabled). While experimenting with the second module, make sure that you have different firewall vlan-groups defined for each module, with no overlap in vlans between the groups.

One other thing ... if you use a newer version of code on the fwsm, it may have different requirements for the switch IOS. Make sure your switch IOS will work with the FWSM code.

Re: Secondary (redundant) FWSM just arrived for 6509

Ok great! We are currently running 2.3.3 and I believe the backup was shipped with 2.3.4

And yes, I just read up on version 3.1.3 and found out we would need an upgrade to both our MSFC and Sup 720's (we are running HYBRID mode)....so for now I think we'll be safe...thanks again!

Views
Helpful
Replies