cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

secure ftp

shaibal_mitra
Level 1
Level 1

My understanding is that any firewall needs to monitor the FTP control port to know which dynamic ports to open.Since in secure ftp control port is also encrypted the firewall cannot monitor the control port so it is not possible to access a secure ftp site from behind a firewall.Is there any workaround.

2 Replies 2

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

In my experience, SFTP usually runs over port 22 (ssh) or sometimes port 990. It does not do the same dynamic port allocation that standard FTP uses, so you should not have a problem through a firewall. If you know the type of SFTP server you wish to access I may be able to give more specifics.

-Eric

Thanks for the post.Essentially this is a Windows 2003 server with ISA firewall.Access from behind the firewall to secure ftp sites does not work.I got the port 22(not port 990) information too but the articles are making a distinction between Secure FTP/SSL and SFTP/SSH.At the moment all I can think of is open up port 22 and 990(inbound and outbound) on ISA firewall and hope for the best.Apparently Secure FTP/SSL does use dynamic ports or am I wrong?What kind of SFTP/SSH clients are available for Windows?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: