cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secure Shell

ggoriup
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have experience with installing an IOS with SSH and 3DES so that you can configure the Serial and FastEthernet interfaces of a 2621 XM router? If so, what feature set are you using?

7 Replies 7

osam
Level 1
Level 1

I have personally instealled different IOS version of "IP/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES", I would suggest ver 12.2.15T5, but it depends on your setup and in what exactly you looking for..

Hi,

Im also interested in using SSH instead of telnet. What particular IOS I will need. My router and switch platforms are:1600, 1700,2500,3660 and switch are 2900, 2950 and 4006

Hope someone helps

Pretty much any DES/3DES feature set will do, although some don't have the SSH subroutines in them, particularly earlier code versions in 12.0 and 12.1.

You can always find a specific feature and the code for it by using the Feature Navigator, makes life very simple. Go here (http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp), search by feature and enter SSH, it's that simple.

Once you have the right code on the router, you just need to create a public/private key pair for SSH to use (Cry key gen rsa) and you'll get a console message saying SSH has been enabled.

See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/ssh.shtml for details.

Networkin Pros,

I have a problem with implementing SSHv1 on a 2511 Access Server. My SSH Clients that I have been trying to use: Putty and Secure CRT 4.0

This is the following output I get before the router hangs: SSH Debugging was turned on

00:29:08: SSH0: starting SSH control process

00:29:08: SSH0: sent protocol version id SSH-1.5-Cisco-1.25

00:29:08: SSH0: protocol version id is - SSH-1.5-PuTTY-Release-0.53b

00:29:08: SSH0: SSH_SMSG_PUBLIC_KEY msg

Abort a

Ab

Abort at 0x100B6DE (PC)

Please advise..Thanks

post your config...

Networking Pros,

Found the answer to my problem..

I was using single des encryption in my implementation. The RSA keys I was generating was too high for this type of encryption. I was originally using 1024-bit. When I lowered to 512 it worked..One question remains..how does one determine which rsa keys to generate with DES/3DES.

Thanks for all who attempted or was in the process of sending me a response.

P.S.

Thanks for the previous postings, tips on ssh implementation, and for posting this topic..it definitely got me to analyze my problem step by step..and discover the error in my config.