cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secure VPN with LinkSys Cable/DSL Router

jwadle
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone give me some advice on using Secure VPN Client under Windows 2000 through a LinkSys Cable/DSL Router (BEFSR41)? On my first attempt to install I get the message "IsDneCheckRequirements not sufficient". I realize that I may have two separate issues: Secure VPN Clinet compatinility with Win2K and VPN through the LinkSys router.

Any input on either issue would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

kbeltz
Level 1
Level 1

I’m sure you’ve already picked this up from a lot of other posts from the site, but Cisco’s VPN client isn’t W2K compatible yet so you have to run it on 95/98 (It should be out soon). Are you just terminating through the Linksys modem at a Cisco device on the far end? If that is the case, just be sure the Linksys is not blocking any IP with access-lists and it’s not sharing an IP address for port address translation (IPsec requires a valid IP address). Other than that, I think it should work. Hope this helps!

I am also experiencing problems with the VPN client/Linksys unit. I have tried NAT mode as well as "exclude local lan". The VPN gets a valid IP and connects, but i cannot send any data back to my corp network. Outlook returns "network problems encountered". Any suggestions on settings in the Linksys or Client software is appreciated.

cjkaufman
Level 1
Level 1

Better late than never. Version 1.37 of the Linksys firmware supports IPSEC pass-through. Go to their web site and download. When you log into the router, it's under the "Advanced" tab.