cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting of 4210 interface

leungpokit
Level 1
Level 1

After I assigned a IP to the control interface, I use a work station to ping the interface, however, it always says "can't reach"

In the 10.1.1. network, there only 2 IP, and do not have a router, hub or switch.

The 4210 control interface's IP is 10.1.1.20

The workstation is installed with a CSPM, it's IP is 10.1.1.19

I use a cross over cable to connet these 2 NIC.

Is there any problem?

Moveover, I don't know how to assign a default gateway to the sensor.

Can anyone help?

5 Replies 5

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All of the basic network configuration should be done through the sysconfig-sensor script.

NOTE: There are 2 interfaces on the sensor. Be sure that the proper interface is plugged into the hub.

marco

eric369
Level 1
Level 1

Please read this article.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/secursw/ps2113/prod_configuration_guide09186a00800d9de4.html#34192

Initializing the Sensor

You can configure the basic communication parameters for the sensor via the sysconfig-sensor utility. After initializing the sensor, complete the configuration using your IDS manager.

After you have installed the sensor on your network, turn it on, and follow these steps:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Log in as root.

You can log into the CLI with a serial connection, a Telnet connection to the default sensor address of 10.1.9.201, or after attaching a monitor and keyboard.

Step 2 Enter the username root and the default password attack.

Step 3 You are prompted to change the password of root if this is the first time you have logged in to the sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note Change the default password to maintain security.

Step 4 Type sysconfig-sensor at the command prompt.

The Cisco IDS Sensor Initial Configuration Utility menu appears:

Cisco IDS Sensor Initial Configuration Utility

Select options 1 through 6 to initially configure the Sensor.

1 - IP Address

2 - IP Netmask

3 - IP Host Name

4 - Default Route

5 - Access Control List

6 - Communications Infrastructure

7 - Date/Time and Time Zone

8 - Passwords

9 - Secure Communications

10 - Display

11 - IDS Device Manager

x - Exit

Selection:

Note To initialize a sensor, you must configure options 1 through 6. If you do not set these parameters, the sensor does not function properly. You can complete the other options using your IDS manager with the exception of options 9 and 10, which are not available in the IDS Device Manager.

I have Initializing the Sensor. And set these parameters.

However, I also can't ping the control interface of the sensor.

Morever, there's no router in the network, how could I assign the default gateway?

Thanks~

The default gateway is assigned when you run sysconfig-sensor and select option 4 - Default Route.

Actually, there have no default gateway in the network

What should i assign?

Thanks