Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup PIX for Video Conferencing

PIX 515

6.2(2)

Need help opening ports for video conf equip.

Here are the instructions provided with the video equip with my comments indicated by ***:

1. On the Firewall, open up: TCP ports 1720, 3230-3231; UDP ports 3230-3235

***TCP port 1720 is already open for H.323. Not sure how to open other ports.***

2. Set up a static NAT address on your NAT tables corresponding to the internal IP address of the ViewStation. This must be a static one-to-one NAT.

***Looked at Translation Table in PDM. Can setup PAT. Wouldn't this require obtaining a new outside address? Since we want to communicate between offices, can we use our VPN?***

3. On the ViewStation, go to System Info>Admin Setup>LAN/H.323>H.323>QoS and turn on "Use Fixed Ports" and "System is Behind a NAT".

***OK, this is easy, but what if we use the VPN***

4. Under the "NAT Outside (WAN) Address" type in the public NAT address that was assigned in the NAT table.

***VPN?***

Thanks!

1 REPLY

Re: Setup PIX for Video Conferencing

I'm assuming because you mentioned Viewstation that you have a Polycom product. Which firmware rev are you running on the Viewstation? I ran into an issue in April 2003 where the latest Polycom release (5.0 for FX, 7.2.4 for SP) did not support H323 through NAT. Check with Polycom, they may have a patch available by now, however, we've had to run the previous firmware level (5.0 FX, 7.2 SP).

Also, if you are using a Polycom FX (Multisite), you may need to open more ports. We have the following setup on our PIX with a Polycom Viewstation FX:

access-list 101 permit udp any host 12.xx.xx.xx range 3230 3247

access-list 101 permit tcp any host 12.xx.xx.xx range 3230 3235

access-list 101 permit tcp any host 12.xx.xx.xx eq 1731

access-list 101 permit tcp any host 12.xx.xx.xx range 3220 3225

access-list 101 permit tcp any host 12.xx.xx.xx eq 1503

access-list 101 permit udp any host 12.xx.xx.xx eq 1718

access-list 101 permit udp any host 12.xx.xx.xx eq 1719

...and yes 12.xx.xx.xx has to be a valid internet address setup as a static translation.

The most secure is to DMZ and VPN your Polycom, however, we haven't gone that that extent due to time issues. If I had a job where I didn't have to also deal with user issues I would do it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content