Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Simultaneous VPN Connections

I'm trying to find out how many simultaneous VPN connections are allowed on each of the PIX firewalls. I found data sheets stating the 501 can have 5, the 506 can have 4, and the 535 can have 2000. I also found that the 515 and 525 can have 2000 with the use of the VAC, but I can't find how many are allowed on the 515 and 525 without the VAC. Any help would be appriciated.

4 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Simultaneous VPN Connections

If you’re planning on doing more than 25 or so, get a card. IPSEC is CPU intensive. Your Cisco rep can get you the actual specs I’m sure.

Community Member

I was glancing through the postings and came across this one and thought I should ask What card?

Cisco beginner, I just started messing with CISCO equipment this year. We went from Alcatel to Cisco, but I'm stuck on the VPN settings for a PIX 515.

I hear that it's harder and than a concentrator.

Thanks,

Community Member

The card is a VPN accelerator Card (sometimes called a VAC), it is a slot in module that is dedicated to doing the encryption and decryption needed for and IPSec VPN. You can see it on the PIX home page.

Community Member

The 515 can support 400 without the VAC and the 525 can support up to 1000. However the performace degradation is quite marked, the 515 drops to around 11Mbps and the 525 drops to around 35Mbps, under 10% of none encrypted performance. I guess the decision to go with the VAC depends on what you need for throughput and how deep your pockets are ;)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content