Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

single director with multiple shells

I am investigating the possibility to monitor and shunn with multiple screens/usernames/shells on a single director.

i.e. a single director monitoring 100 sensors. 10 PC's with screens, each screen with one user and one shell monitoring 10 sensors with full functionality as if on the director?

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: single director with multiple shells

The traditional approach is using the Unix Director on a single machine, and each of the 10 users is remotely logging into the Unix Director and exporting the display back to their personal machines.

Each pc would either need to be Unix based, or if using a Windows OS then the pc needs to be running an X-windows manager application.

Read from the beginning of the following link to the bottom of the chapter to get a good feel of how this can be setup using a single installation of OpenView.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids7/unix_cfg/advanced.htm#xtocid2521151

NOTE: Though OV will support the multiple users, the nrConfigure tool (started by Security->Configure OV menu option) can only be run by a single user at a time, and must be run as user netrangr. SO you will need to designate a single user to make configuration changes or come up with a method so that use of the tool is shared between multiple users. Alternatives would be to use the vi editor and edit the configuration files directly on the sensors instead of reconfiguring through the nrConfigure tool.

Other alternatives would be to load the Unix Director on a seperate sparc wokstation for each user, thus creating 10 different directors.

This can also be done with CSPM.

Both CSPM and the Unix Directors can then forward alarms to a higher level director.

CSPM also has a client/server model. I haven't tried the client/server model myself. If CSPM is what you are interested in then you can reply asking for more information about CSPM with multiple users, and I'll see if anyone around the office has had experience with the multiple user aspect of CSPM.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content