Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to Site IPSEC VPN Drops intermittently

eoin
Level 1
Level 1

Site to Site IPSEC VPN Drops intermittently

I'm currently having a problem with a Site to Site VPN not passing traffic intermittently. When the problem occurs I cannot Ping from the remote site to the HQ Site. But I can resolve the problem by Pinging from the Hq to the Remote Site. My network is currently setup as follows

-------HQ------

Pix 515 Version 7.0(4) with 4 port Ethernet card.

Outside interface connected to DSL Broadband link.

Outside2 Interface connected to Second DSL Broadband link

-------Remote--------

I have 4 remote Sites. 2 sites connect to each Broadband connection at the HQ to spread the load at the HQ

Pix 501 version 6.3(5)

####### The Problem #######

All VPN's successfully establishes to the HQ Pix

Intermittently a remote site will report that they cannot connect to any servers/services in the HQ. When I do a show ipsec crypto sa and show crypto isakmp sa at the HQ there is no entries for the remote site. However when I do the same on the remote site there is an entry for the HQ. With debugging on the remote site pix I try to ping from a pc to the HQ Server and I get the following (see below). If I do a 'clear crypto ipsec Isakmp sa' and 'clear crypto ipsec sa' on the remote site pix I can then successfully ping all servers in the HQ.

This problem seem to have only occurred when I upgraded the pix from a 501 to 515 and added another 2 remote sites and a second Broadband connection as described above. I am worried that this is a problem with a Pix version 7 software. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Carrick-PIX01(config)# logging console 7

Carrick-PIX01(config)# ter mon

Carrick-PIX01(config)# exit

Carrick-PIX01# debug crypto ipsec

Carrick-PIX01# debug crypto isakmp

Carrick-PIX01#

ISAKMP (0:0): sending NAT-T vendor ID - rev 2 & 3

ISAKMP (0): beginning Main Mode exchange

ISAKMP (0): retransmitting phase 1 (0)...

ISAKMP (0): retransmitting phase 1 (1)...

ISAKMP (0): retransmitting phase 1 (2)...

Carrick-PIX01#

Carrick-PIX01#

ISAKMP (0): retransmitting phase 1 (3)...

Carrick-PIX01#

Carrick-PIX01#

ISAKMP (0): retransmitting phase 1 (4)...IPSEC(key_engine): request timer fired: count = 1,

(identity) local= IP-EXTERNAL, remote= 86.43.74.16,

local_proxy= LAN-OFFICE/255.255.255.0/0/0 (type=4),

remote_proxy= 194.x.x.x.x.255.0/0/0 (type=4)

ISAKMP (0): deleting SA: src IP-EXTERNAL, dst 86.43.74.16

ISADB: reaper checking SA 0x10c167c, conn_id = 0 DELETE IT!

VPN Peer:ISAKMP: Peer Info for 86.43.74.16/500 not found - peers:1

ISADB: reaper checking SA 0x10ca914, conn_id = 0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

Can you force the ISAKMP Keepalive, IPSec SA Idle time to some value either side. That should solve the issue

crypto isakmp keepalive 30

crypto ipsec security-association idletime 60

Let me know if this helps

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

Can you force the ISAKMP Keepalive, IPSec SA Idle time to some value either side. That should solve the issue

crypto isakmp keepalive 30

Let me know if this helps

Thanks for teh information.

However I cannot find the command

on either the 7.0(4) or 6.3(5) versions of Pix

See if this helps crypto ipsec security-association lifetime

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801727a6.html#wp1026972. More info on this link

Guess Idle Life can be specified in routers only

out of curiousity, is your issue solved ?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

This seems to have resolved my problem. It has been a week since it has happen last. the only ccommand I used was

isakmp keepalive 10 2

on both HQ site and Remote site. The only explanation I can this of is that there is some sort of bug in the version 7 software which was casuing this problem. I never had this problem up until I replaced the HQ site's pix from a 506 to a 515 with version 7 software.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: