Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Site-to-Site VPN between a Cisco Pix 501 (server) and a Cisco 1800 (client)

Hello,

I try to connect my local network, behind a Cisco 1800, to a remote network, behind a Pix 501. Not needing any special security or setting, I went for the wizards on both sides. On the Pix 501 it is "Wizards"->"VPN Wizard"->"Remote Access VPN" and on the 1800 it is "Configure"->"VPN"->"Create a Site to Site VPN".

But it doesn't work.

And the main thing I could see as the reason why, is that on the Pix 501, I have to set a "Group Name" and a "Pre-shared key" and on the 1800 I am only asked for a "Pre-shared key".

Could you please tell me first if what I am trying to do is possible at all? Are those to Cisco box compatible for a site to site VPN? If yes, how shall I proceed to set it up? Why the story with the "Group Name"?

Thanks,

Pierre

2 REPLIES

Re: Site-to-Site VPN between a Cisco Pix 501 (server) and a Cisc

IPSEC is an open standard and it is surely compatible betweeen routers/pix. you can configure these boxes with the URL given below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a0080094498.shtml

hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Re: Site-to-Site VPN between a Cisco Pix 501 (server) and a Cisc

Hello,

I am looking for something a bit more straight forward to setup. In the documentation suggested there is a word in every sentence I don't understand or at least do not master. And I have never configured those boxes from the console. I hoped that the GUI and its wizards are not here just for the show.

But maybe I can become more specific. In the current configuration I have setup the VPN server on the Pix 501. It is done well enough so I can connect to it using the Cisco VPN Client software. For more details I have joinded the PCF file that allows me to connect to the Pix 501.

On the Cisco 1800, the closest I could find to connect to the Pix 501 is the 'Configure->Easy VPN Remote->Create Easy VPN remote'. But again it doesn't work. And the only thing I can see that may be the problem is that it expects a user authetification (XAuth) but it is not needed with my current configuration on teh Pix. When I connect to it with the VPN software it connects directly, no questions asked.

So I have also joined the result of the VPN trouble shooting. It tells me to check the key, but I did that many time and I am 101% sure it is the correct one.

Please help!

Thanks,

Pierre

Views
Helpful
Replies