Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-to-Site VPN versus Remote Access VPN

haithamnofal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have a site-to-site VPN b/ my HQ and my remote branch and I am facing slowness in VPN big time when synching emails through MS Outlook, however when connecting through remote VPN the users are not facing this slowness and are synching emails just fine.

I know IPSec adds overhead over IP traffic which is about 56 bytes, please correct if I am wrong. Now does Site-to-site VPN add more overhead than what the remote VPN adds causing this slowness? Or could that be due to wrong site-to-site VPN between the PIX and the remote branch's VPN device? By the way, for remote users VPN I am currently using Microsoft VPN.

Appreciate your response on this.

Thanks,

Haitham

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Haitham

When the users connect via remote access VPN what is the VPN endpoint in your network ?. Is it the same as the VPN endpoint for the site-to-site VPN ?

There should not be a significant overheaed increase on a site-to-site VPN. What it could be is ports/protocols being allowed through the tunnel. A lot of MS stuff will work even with ports blocked but it can take a whole lot longer.

Could you fill in a few more details as to your topology.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: