Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow Local Network Performance without VPN Client

mgreatho
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I wanted to ask a question which I thought one of you might know. My job is that of a tech support rep at a software company and although enough about topology to get me by, I'm not 100% certain how to explain this away with a specific technical explanation.

I was sent a case by a client who keeps a fairly small network running Windows 2000. They are experiencing a very specific issue; all local clients are having slow file-serving performance, and I expect slow bandwidth and/or latency, unless they install the Cisco VPN Client and turn on the 'Deterministic Network Enhancer'. They never actually log on with it, they just install it.

I tried to gather as much information as I could about their current network configuration, however they were pretty limited in what they would tell me. They wouldn't even show me an IPCONFIG on a workstation so I could get an idea of their network diagram. I was told that their entire office is on a single subnet and they use a Cisco 2600 router, however they did not tell me the specific model number. Apparently they also use it for VPN access and they CLAIM it does not do any other functions such as acting as a Firewall. They do use WINS and they are staying with an NT Domain (NT 4.0 PDC).

Like I said, they want to know why installing the VPN client with the 'Deterministic Network Enhancer' makes things faster. As I stated Topology is NOT my strong suit whatsoever, and I understand the basics of what this is doing, and certainly the need to use such a feature with a VPN, however I can't find what the recommendation is for using it with LOCAL clients. It looks like it would help for some things; especially with its filtering capabilities, but I've never HEARD of any of my clients installing such software as a Local Area Network Enhancement.

Can anyone tell me if its 'standard practice' to install the VPN client (or perhaps a different client) for locally connected workstations when using the Cisco 2600 Gateway/Router as opposed to a 'generic' one?

If it's not, can anyone think of a common item or configruation option which this client might be missing that's causing them to run so slowly without it?

Lastly, does anyone know what WINDOWS DLL's and/or Registry Entries it might be modifying that could explain this increase in performance?

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Matthew Greathouse

Advent Software

mgreatho@advent.com

2 Replies 2

murabi
Level 4
Level 4

I don't think the mattter of network becoming faster has anything to do with the Cisco VPN client.

And regarding your doubt, it is nothing like a standard way to install the VPN client for locally connected workstations when using the Cisco 2600 Router.

The VPN Client is a software program that runs on a Microsoft. Windows.-based PC. The VPN Client on a remote PC, communicating with a Cisco VPN device on an enterprise network or with a service provider, creates a secure connection over the Internet. Through this connection you can access a private network as if you were an on-site user. Thus you have a Virtual Private Network (VPN).As a remote user (low speed or high speed), you first connect to the Internet. Then you use the VPN Client to securely access the private enterprise network through a Cisco VPN device that supports the VPN Client.

For more information on this please referto the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_user_guide_book09186a00800ecb1e.html

mgreatho
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I saw Marubi's response to this, but unfortunately, it doesn't really help. What WE are seeing, is that truly, when you have a workstation without the VPN client, all network activities, such as file-sharing, smtp traffic, etc., are very slow. After the installation of the VPN client, without doing anything else at all, their network performance is dramatically increased.

Has anyone ever run into this type of situation before? I'm perfectly happy telling this client that there is a need to open a Case, but there must be someone out there that can tell me WHAT that VPN software installation really does that might point me and this client to a reason behind this problem.

Thank You,

Matthew Greathouse

Advent Software

mgreatho@advent.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: