Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SNMP Admin logon?

I am seeing the log entry below on a VPN3000:

17373 03/17/2004 16:09:47.530 SEV=5 AUTH/36 RPT=651

User [ Unknown ] Protocol [ SNMP ] attempted ADMIN logon..

I can't see why SNMP would ever log on as admin. My initial thought was that this was an attempt at unauthorized access. However I am seeing these log entries about once every 30 to 50 seconds. Since it says "access granted" an access attempt would likely stop once given access.

Does anyone know what may cause this?

Thanks,

Eliot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: SNMP Admin logon?

These are caused whenever an SNMP packet is sent to the VPN3000, usually you would have a HPOV or some other management station that is trying to SNMP poll the 3000.

To get rid of them you can set the AUTH event class to only log sev 4 and higher bugs. Go to Config - System - Events - Classes, add the AUTH class and set its Severity To Log to be 1-4. These should then stop.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

These are caused whenever an SNMP packet is sent to the VPN3000, usually you would have a HPOV or some other management station that is trying to SNMP poll the 3000.

To get rid of them you can set the AUTH event class to only log sev 4 and higher bugs. Go to Config - System - Events - Classes, add the AUTH class and set its Severity To Log to be 1-4. These should then stop.

Thanks, Glenn. That makes sense, since we are using SNMP. That is a scary message for simple SNMP access. Does SNMP really need and use admin access to poll the concentrator?

Views
Helpful
Replies