Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

snmp trap message from pix 515

On my NMS (Riversoft) we are getting this message, Trap:ClogMessageGenerated. Where can I find info on Trap messages for the pix 515? Also, what does this error mean?

Thanks,

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: snmp trap message from pix 515

Here's the syslog messages you may be getting:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_62/syslog/pixemsgs.htm

As for the traps, if you have "logging history" in your PIX config then it'll send the above syslog messages as traps. It also sends out generic SNMP traps like link-up, etc, as detailed here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_62/config/sysmgmt.htm#1033685

As for ClogMessageGenerated, this is automatically generated by a device (in this case the PIX) when it sends a syslog message as an SNMP trap, this is why you're seeing so many of these. Unfortunately you can't tell the PIX to not send this out every time.

The only way to do it is to block it in the MIB you loaded. Details for it are here:

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.41.2 ciscoSyslogMIBNotificationPrefix 1 clogMessageGenerated

"When a syslog message is generated by the device a

clogMessageGenerated notification is sent. The

sending of these notifications can be enabled/disabled

via the clogNotificationsEnabled object."

"Trap received from enterprise $E with $# arguments:

clogHistFacility=$1

clogHistSeverity=$2

clogHistMsgName=$3

clogHistMsgText=$4

clogHistTimestamp=$5"

CISCO-SYSLOG-MIB-V1SMI.my

As I said though, the PIX doesn't support the clogNotificationsEnabled attribute, so filtering it out of your NMS box directly is about the only way to get rid of this.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content