Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SNMP VS. Syslog

Hi There,

I have Cisco MARS SIM tool in my environment and I'm currently using syslog messages to report activities for the different devices; I'd like to see what advantages I'd get if I enabled SNMP over what is currently collected through syslog messaging?

Thanks,

Haitham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SNMP VS. Syslog

Hi Haitham,

SNMP provides limited/specific type of logs via traps, e.g system restart,BGP. tty and so on.

For example, in router, you can see snmp options via "snmp-server enable traps ?".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a008021de3e.shtml

Syslog will generate and send logs based on syslog level you enabled to be sent to MARS. Recommended level is informational so that you can collect all information/events in a particular device. But you can always specify this level based on device criticality.

Both of SNMP and Syslog complement each other in order to provide sufficient and accurate information to be processed by MARS. NetFlow is also a great source of information.

Rgds,

AK

1 REPLY

Re: SNMP VS. Syslog

Hi Haitham,

SNMP provides limited/specific type of logs via traps, e.g system restart,BGP. tty and so on.

For example, in router, you can see snmp options via "snmp-server enable traps ?".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a008021de3e.shtml

Syslog will generate and send logs based on syslog level you enabled to be sent to MARS. Recommended level is informational so that you can collect all information/events in a particular device. But you can always specify this level based on device criticality.

Both of SNMP and Syslog complement each other in order to provide sufficient and accurate information to be processed by MARS. NetFlow is also a great source of information.

Rgds,

AK

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content