cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Software of FWSM, and IOS for 6506

Hi, first time user to this forum.

We're using Software version 2.3 on our Firewall Service Module. Is that the latest version?

Also, the IOS on the 6506 is 12.2(17d)SXB7. Is it still current? Does it support SSH. Our 6506s have 2 SUP2 (slot1 & 2), 1 FWSM (slot3), 1 48 FastEthernet port module (slot4), 2 FlexWAN modules (slot 5 & 6), and PA-A3-OC3-SMI on both FlexWANs.

I tried the Software Advisor, and it gives me a variants of 12.2 (i don't remember exactly what it was). That confused me 'cause the latest version of IOS is 12.4. Isn't 12.4 better than 12.2?

Thanks in advance!

Binh

2 REPLIES

Re: Software of FWSM, and IOS for 6506

Hi

12.2.18-SXD7 (ED) is the latest ios code available for 6500 series switches and also 2.3.3 is the latest version avl for the fwsm module.

Inlined with the SSH support u need to get a ios package which supports SSH.

do find the ios packages available from which u can select the required for ur box.

ADV IP W/MPLS/IPV6/SSH/3DES + BGP

DESKTOP W/VIP

ENT FW W/MPLS/IPV6

ENT FW W/MPLS/IPV6/SSH/3DES

ENT W/IPV6

ENT W/IPV6/SSH/3DES

ENT W/IPV6/SSH/3DES LAN ONLY

ENTERPRISE LAN ONLY

ENTERPRISE SSH 3DES LAN ONLY

ENTERPRISE W/VIP

ENTERPRISE W/VIP SSH 3DES

ENTERPRISE WITH FW/VIP

ENTERPRISE WITH FW/VIP 3DES

IP

IP LAN ONLY

IP W/SSH/3DES

IP W/SSH/3DES LAN ONLY

IP/IPX W/VIP

SERVICE PROVIDER LAN ONLY

SERVICE PROVIDER W/VIP

SP SSH 3DES LAN ONLY

SP W/VIP SSH 3DES

SP W/VIP SSH3DES

SP WITH FW/VIP

SP WITH FW/VIP 3DES

Regd 12.4 its available only for other routing equipments and afaik for switches its on either 12.2 train or 12.1..

regds

Community Member

Re: Software of FWSM, and IOS for 6506

Binh,

the newest software is not always the best, since new features are integrated in this software and they tend to have some bugs in the beginning. So for a production network consider to use not so new but proven and mature software (look for a high maintenance release number) that has all the features you need. Normally a GD (General Deployment) Status in Software Center indicates the maturity of the software. But in the FWSM softwares you don't find that nomenclature.

HTH

mat

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content