Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

some questions about PPTP

while i'm reading the rfc 2637 describing the PPTP protocol, i found first the packets format connection establishement, release, and control.

-but what i don't understand! are these packet packets are encapsulated in PPP,GRE then IP as any other data ones? i mean, is thes packets are considered as ppp payload? if not, then how the PPTP control packets are encapsulated?

thanks for reply

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: some questions about PPTP

The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) originally emerged as an encapsulation protocol for transporting IP traffic over point-to-point links. PPP also established a standard for the assignment and management of IP addresses, asynchronous (start/stop) and bit-oriented synchronous encapsulation, network protocol multiplexing, link configuration, link quality testing, error detection, and option negotiation for such capabilities as network layer address negotiation and data-compression negotiation

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/ppp.htm

Re: some questions about PPTP

so, what i've understood.. that pptp is an enhancement of gre.. but ppp is only used to create a session in the gre (pptp) tunnel? in other words we can say that pptp is an enhanced-gre?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content