SOS: XP crashes with VPN 4.8 after AUTHENTICATION

shawn53558
Level 1
Level 1

Laptop - Compaq 2006

AMD Sempron Processor

Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Cisco VPN Client 4.8.01.0300

VPN starts fine...CONNECTS to work server fine...

BUT...crashes XP (Blue Screen of Death) after AUTHENTICATION STEP (after I enter the USER-NAME/PASSWORD and hit ENTER)

No idea what is wrong or how to fix?

PLEASE HELP - SOS!

(this happens 100% of the time)

7 Replies 7

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

There are several things that may cause a bluescreen with the VPN Client installed. Some of them relate to other applications that are already installed on the box, check any another personal firewalls already installed in your PC.

also check this bug-id:CSCsd03468.

I have the same blue screen crash and it has happened with V4.6 and V4.8, with and without firewall, on wireless and direct connect. It is on a Gateway AMD Turion 64 laptop. There's got to be somebody that knows how this thing should work.

Are there any diagnostics that tell me what is going on? I'm about to unload this for the last time!

Search finds nothing on this bug id?

mansnerja
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem with IBM ThinkCentre M52 workstation and that VPN Client version.

I've been trying to find some driver update but have found nothing. Thinking of switching back to old 3.1.2 Client version that worked just fine.

There is an article "How to Manually Uninstall the Cisco VPN Client 3.5 and Later for Windows 2000 and Windows XP"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_tech_note09186a0080094b7f.shtml

If it's any help to you.

If someone has an idea why this happens or how to fix it, please tell us too :=)

Continuing the pervious post..

I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2 with F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security 6.03.

I found two articles maybe relayded on this issue:

F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security Issues

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/is/roamnet/checklist_fsecure.htm

ConfigFree service issue on Toshiba, Hewlett Packard and Dell laptops

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/is/roamnet/checklist_configfree.htm

Going to test that F-Secure article today. Hope that helps.

It worked!

If you are using F-Secure (or windows?) Firewall the "Cisco VPN Client Firewall component" must be disabled. Read the "F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security Issues" article on how to do that.

I can't test that ConfigFree issue but I assume it does the same thing.

Hope this helps someone else too.

Problem solved - Conflict with F-Secure (Chater.net Firewall)

To establish the VPN connection you need to allow IKE (bi-directional) and UDP (outbound, local port >1023, remote port 62514 and 62515) to the VPN gateway. In addition to this you need to allow all the traffic that you want to use through the tunnel. For example, if you want to use HTTP through the tunnel, you need to allow it. This is because the F-Secure firewall filters the traffic before it is encrypted by Cisco VPN.

The Cisco VPN client has a built-in stateful firewall which is not compatible with F-Secure Internet Shield. If Cisco VPN is installed before F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security, the sidegrade component disables the firewall in Cisco VPN client. However in some cases it might be that the sidegrade doesn't identify a new version of VPN Client. In that case you can disable the integrated firewall manually.

To disable the firewall in Cisco VPN Client you need to do the following:

Open Control Panel

Open Administrative Tools (under Computer Management)

Select System Tools from Device Management

Select View - Devices by Type

Select View - Show hidden devices

Select "vsdatant" from "Non-Plug and Play Drivers"

Right click the object and select "disable"

Reboot the computer